Over the last few months, we have taken several measures to protect iSii and Economic computers against ransomware attacks.
Just a few of these measures and advices:
- Make sure you have a recent backup, not connected to the Internet (for example on an external disk or in the cloud).
- Turn on the firewall, instructions for this can be supplied by your dealer.
- Install an antivirus program. Preferably a paid version, and preferably a program that does not degrade the computer performance.
- Do not install an email program or other software on your climate computer.
- Do not use the browser to browse the Internet, unless it is to fixed (trusted) sites.
- Make sure user iSii does not have administrator rights.
- Use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer or Chrome (on IBS-1 and IBS-2).
- Install SP2 on IBS-1.
- For Economic XP machines – bring them to SP3, update the Microsoft patches, then turn on the firewall and turn off updates.
Following recent Wannacry attacks, we want to expand these measures further.
Until now, we advised not to install Windows updates, because there is a risk that after the Windows update certain versions of the Economic of iSii no longer work. This has not yet happened, but undisturbed operation after an update cannot be guaranteed.
We are now investigating whether it is possible to allow Windows updates, and how to make it as easy and well-controlled as possible. Instructions on this will follow shortly. At the same time, we will provide a good script when a Windows update unexpectedly may lead to problems with iSii, so that you can be up and running again as soon as possible.
Obviously the best way to stay up to date with the latest and safest software is to switch to a more modern operating system, in our Next Generation iSii climate computer.
If you have questions about this email or other Wannacry ransomware messages, please call your dealer or our helpdesk via +31 (0) 10 460 80 30.